KDrama: Relatable or Illogical?

21:17

Lately, I prefer relatable KDramas compared to fantasy-ish KDramas. When people were raving about The Legend of Blue Sea, I was smitten by Weightlifting Fairy Bok Joo. For me, something relatable gives me comfort rather than illogical mermaid kind of story. Well fairytales were fun when I was 12 but not anymore. Goblin also seems illogical but the great chemistry between Gong Yoo and Lee Dong Wook made me following the series. They are funny although the concepts of deities and grim reapers are absurd.

These two ahjushis made me watch the drama. Source

But KDramas are there with the purpose of entertainment and I find that Koreans do favour the illogical ones. The rating of Legend of Blue Sea is indeed higher than Weightlifting Fairy Bok Joo. While the international viewers prefer otherwise. Maybe, they find the life of an athlete is quite dull while the international viewers are eager to learn their lifestyles.

Although The Legend of The Blue Sea portrayed Lee Min Ho as the main cast, nope the story line was dull. I only watched until the 7th episode. Source

Anyhoo, I love Bok Joo so much because I can relate myself to what she faced except for when she started going out with Joon Hyung. 😭 I think the character Joon Hyung is unrealistic. He is too sensitive (caring) for a guy. I have never heard of this kind of guy yet, I mean from the stories of my friends.

Their characters are so cute together! Source

Today, I just finished watching Reply 1994. There were a few series of Reply and I love all of them because they emphasized on the value of love between families and friends. The stories are warm and always remind us to be good to our parents, families and friends. The friendship portrayed are the best!

Their dining scenes always make me drooling. Source

But, the most heartbreaking one for me is, there will always be a guy who has unrequited love towards the main character. Chil Bong from Reply 1994 has been liking Na Jeong from 1994 until 2002. Although Chil Bong is portrayed as an almost perfect character but Na Jeong got married to her first love "Trash" who is far away from perfect. Somehow being perfect does not make you win the girl. #SecondLeadSyndrome

Poor guy. Source

I cannot wait for some more relatable series. The kind of dramas that you can take the values and practice in your daily lives, I used to have at least one ongoing drama to watch everyday during my peak season as a postgraduate student. Nowadays, when I am on my break, there is only one series that I am following at the moment. Whyy?? Why?



You Might Also Like

0 comments